Skip to main content

SELF HATE? JUST BECAUSE OF HAIR...


DO WE REALLY HATE OURSELVES INSIDE? GOOD HAIR VS BAD HAIR


As black women, nothing is more personal than our relationship with our hair. Ever since I was a child, I had a love-hate relationship with my hair that only another black woman would be able to understand. In a sense, our hair is our identity. We create it to fit our style. So how does this tie in with having good hair versus bad hair?

 I know most of you have seen the film Good Hair by Chris Rock; in my opinion, the film kind of hit a nerve with me. As a black woman, I love my hair, flaws and all. Just like every other race. We have good hair days and then there are bad hair days. I just thought he focused too much on black women not accepting the fact that they can never really have that “good hair.” My assumption could be incorrect but that is the way I perceived it.

Back in the day, it was thought that if you had straight or wavy hair, you were from good genes. You most certainly could not be 100% black because black hair does not behave itself. Black hair is thought to be unruly, unkempt, dirty, and unmanageable. I am just confused as to how this “theory” continues today. I still hear the terms “good” hair or “bad” hair. This is a form of self-hate within the black community that is still evident in today’s society. This has been going on for centuries; all because of our “kinky” hair.

I once heard two girls talking about the new school girl in the class. Keep in mind that all three of these girls are pure African-American. Girl #1 was asking girl #2 about the new girl who had long “kinky-straight” hair that reached her lower back. She wanted to know if that was all her hair. Girl#2 answered by simply stating that yes it was real and the new girl must be mixed because she has yet to see any black girls with long hair. Girl #1 responded by saying how she hated being black because black people have ugly hair with naps. Situations like this are still an everyday occurrence in 2012. I am not sure how to fix it but what we all can do is spread the word to our young African-American girls to love their-self.  Let them know that there is no difference between “good” hair and “bad” hair, only a difference in how we manage our hair. We have to put in their mind that black is beautiful.



Popular posts from this blog

TRUMP TWEETS A MESSAGE FOR AMERICANS AMID DACA SCANDAL

With the rest of the United States still trying to come to grips with the devastation that occurred one week ago in Texas by Hurricane Harvey, Trump takes to twitter and gives a labor day tweet for Americans. That may not seem like a big deal but for about 800,000 DACA recipients, it comes as a slap in the face. What is DACA? DACA stands for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals. It's American immigration policy founded by former president, Barack Obama in June 2012. DACA allows certain illegal immigrants who entered the country as minors, to receive a renewable two-year period of deferred action from deportation and eligibility for a work permit. Well, "All-American" president, Donald Trump, wants to do away with the program as he feels America should be ran by Americans. Meaning, only American items to be made by American workers. That's interesting, considering numerous women Trump has been with and married to did not come to this country born American

HAIR OF THE DAY: BROOKE BAILEY

For those of you wondering if this is all of Brooke Bailey's hair.....I can let all of the inquiring minds know that YES, this is indeed her real hair, and not only is this her real hair, she is also natural.  She was asked on twitter if she perms or presses her hair out with a hot comb. She had responded by saying @brookebaileyinc LOL ...  I don't perm or press my hair. In this pic I washed it and let it air dry.  It seems as if she always had beautiful hair. Her hair is absolutely gorgeous and looks very healthy. Her natural haircare line (in which she uses for her hair) will be launched shortly. I guess I may have to give it a try. Considering how shiny her hair looks, it can't be that bad. (Click to enlarge images)

TRANSFORMATION TUESDAY: FLY TATTED SKY

Do you watch Black Ink NY? If so, did you notice how Sky's confidence level went to over "a hunnit" after she got the plastic surgery she has been dyin gto get. I mean she always had an outgoing personality, but now "it's all the way up." Congrats to Sky and that new body. What I love is that she didn't go too overboard like most people with injections/implants. Before : After: