Skip to main content

DETERMINING A REGIMEN FOR TRANSITIONING HAIR

I recently got asked what my transitioning regimen was like and although I transitioned for exactly 17 months, I didn't have an exact format that I followed directly.

I basically was doing a trial and error method, where I had to find what worked for me instead of doing what worked for someone else. Jumping onto band wagons and spending a considerable amount of money on products every different "what's hot" item, just wasn't working for me. 

I had tried growth aids, hundreds of shampoos and conditioners, different hairstyles every other day, weaves, and everything else you can think of. What I learned about doing all of that was that I was doing much more damage than originally. 

 I did the bunning thing for a while and noticed that it was breaking my hair. Some have success with bunning but I was one of those who did not. I had to cut several inches off to get it back to health because it was growing in thin, plus breaking at the end.

What did work for me was to deep conditioning regularly. I DC at least once a week. After I DC, I would make sure it was very moisturized, then put the hair in a banana clip. I would even flat iron every other week with no ill effects. Oil rinses also contributed to the strength and elasticity of my strands.



So basically the (re)start of my healthy hair journey was March 2011 (pic to the left), in which I was cut down to just below ear length. Most of the relaxed ends were cut off. Only 2 inches remained.

From March 2011 until August 2011, I babied my hair as if it was the most sensitive thing in the world. I still flat ironed every other week, still deep conditioned and still oil rinsed. I oiled my scalp daily, and kept those ends moisturized with creams and oils.




It turned out that I found what worked for me. No set pattern and look at the results. The pic below was taken in August 2011. That was only 5 months between and I was scraping APL.

Let's fast forward to where I am today, Almost a year and a half later after being ear length I made it to BSL.

To conclude: You have to find what works for your hair. It's okay to try different techniques, trial and error is okay, that's how you learn. But as soon as you notice a change in the wrong direction, fix it. Find out the cause. The main things to get you through your transition period is:

  • Deep Conditioning once a week
  • Oil Rinsing once every other week to soften the new growth
  • Keeps the ends moisturized  daily
  • Don't hop on every band wagon
  • Listen to your hair
  • Wrap your hair nightly
  • Do styles that do not constantly pin your hair down

Popular posts from this blog

HAIR OF THE DAY: BROOKE BAILEY

For those of you wondering if this is all of Brooke Bailey's hair.....I can let all of the inquiring minds know that YES, this is indeed her real hair, and not only is this her real hair, she is also natural.  She was asked on twitter if she perms or presses her hair out with a hot comb. She had responded by saying @brookebaileyinc LOL ...  I don't perm or press my hair. In this pic I washed it and let it air dry.  It seems as if she always had beautiful hair. Her hair is absolutely gorgeous and looks very healthy. Her natural haircare line (in which she uses for her hair) will be launched shortly. I guess I may have to give it a try. Considering how shiny her hair looks, it can't be that bad. (Click to enlarge images)

TRUMP TWEETS A MESSAGE FOR AMERICANS AMID DACA SCANDAL

With the rest of the United States still trying to come to grips with the devastation that occurred one week ago in Texas by Hurricane Harvey, Trump takes to twitter and gives a labor day tweet for Americans. That may not seem like a big deal but for about 800,000 DACA recipients, it comes as a slap in the face. What is DACA? DACA stands for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals. It's American immigration policy founded by former president, Barack Obama in June 2012. DACA allows certain illegal immigrants who entered the country as minors, to receive a renewable two-year period of deferred action from deportation and eligibility for a work permit. Well, "All-American" president, Donald Trump, wants to do away with the program as he feels America should be ran by Americans. Meaning, only American items to be made by American workers. That's interesting, considering numerous women Trump has been with and married to did not come to this country born American

COMEDIAN, EDDIE MURPHY HAS NINE CHILDREN

One of my favorite comedians is Eddie Murphy, but did you know that Eddie Murphy is more than just a comedian, he's a father of nine. Did you hear that, NINE children with five different women, five of nine children are with ex-wife, the super-beautiful, Nicole Mitchell-Murphy. Eddie makes beautiful offspring nonetheless. Eddie has three sons: Eric Murphy, Christian Murphy, and Myles Murphy. And six daughters: Bria Murphy, Shayne Murphy, Zola Murphy, Bella Murphy, Angel Iris Murphy Brown, and Izzy Murphy. Paulette Murphy Eric Murphy Eric Murphy is the son with Paulette McNeely. There aren't any pictures of Paulette or none taken with Eddie so that is a mystery in itself BUT I happen to stumble upon her picture and her work place from a source close to Eddie. Paulette works as a Medical Aesthetician & Body Contouring Expert. ________________________________ Christian Murphy is the son with Tamara Hood. It was said that Tamara Hood was to be cast in VH1's